Friday, November 10, 2006

Best Thanksgiving Ham Ever

My family's tradition at Thanksgiving is like many others... Turkey. We at times had ham also, but Turkey has always been the meat of choice. Ever since I tasted a ham cooked by my fiance's father, ham is now a close second in my book. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing his recipe, but it is sooo good and so easy that I have to pass it on.

Buy a fresh ham (not cured). I prefer a fresh ham with the bone in. Take a large stock pot and add enough sugar to cover the bottom of the pot generously. Wash/rinse the ham and add it to the pot. Add enough water to cover the ham and boil gently on stove-top for approximately one hour. Drain water and remove ham from pot. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place ham on baking sheet or roaster pan and place in the oven. In small saucepan, mix pineapple juice, brown sugar, and honey(use your own taste to determine amount of sugar and honey) and warm on stovetop to help sugar and honey dissolve. Baste ham every 10-15 minutes with juice mixture and bake for one hour until outside is brown and crusty. (Optional: Can also add pineapple slices to outside of ham with toothpicks. For the last 5-10 minutes of baking can drizzle honey all over ham and turn broiler on to form glaze. Again this is optional but not necessary)
Important: After baking for one hour, remove ham from oven and cover loosely with foil and let ham rest for 20 minutes before cutting. ENJOY!

1 comment:

BLAZER PROPHET said...

I buy a spiral ham and bar-b-que it on an old fashioned briquete Weber Kettle. YUM!!